Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Beginning of the End


As I'm sitting at the Charlotte International Airport waiting to board my flight back to Brazil for the last time in probably a long time, it's all starting to hit me. This is the last time I'll be going to Brazil as a resident. I live there now but never will again. If I ever get to go back, I'll be nothing more than a tourist, which is odd. I imagine it will kinda be like running into an ex that you lived with. You can never pretend to not have shared what you shared together. It will be awkward and bittersweet. I'm returning for the very last chunk of my research time in Rio (exactly 8 weeks). My husband and I weren't nearly as teary or heartbroken as we said our goodbyes this time. Two months is no sweat! It will literally be over before we know it.

I've become a veteran of this US-Brazil route with US Airways. I always fly BNA to CLT to GIG. I always arrive at Gate E33. I always leave out of the lovely Gate D13. I always leave around 10:30pm and arrive exactly 12 hours later. I always get a celebratory Starbucks Caramel Macchiato when I arrive in Charlotte. And I always guiltily inhale a Burger King value meal before I leave Charlotte for Rio. I'm always sad when I leave the US and I'm always sad to leave Brazil as well-- as strange as that sounds. I feel like-- after 5 years (consecutively) of going there for at least 2 months-- I think it will feel strange to not be there at all next year. For better or for worse, Brazil and I are connected forever and always.

So, as I enter into these last 8 weeks of life and research in one of the most fascinating, frustrating, beautiful and violent nations on earth, I am happy. I'm so lucky to have been able to learn about Brazil and its people so intimately. I'm happy I've had the experience of really living in another country (it's always been on my bucket list). And I'm happy that I'm returning to a group of friends that I enjoy so much. There are still plenty of wild adventures to cram in before I'm gone for good. Stay tuned!

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. :) safe travels and yes, two months is nothing! it goes by SOOOO fast! remember, if you ever want to come out to Rondonia and see REAL brazil (hehehehehe, well, actually, another face of brazil), drink tereré with me and learn how to "tocar vaca" which does NOT mean touching cows, it only took me a few months of being very confused to finally understand that one, i'm only a hop skip and a jump away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would but the price of airfare out there (I checked) is kinda high. I'm on fellowship right now (aka POOR). I definitely want to see RO sometime, though. How long will you guys be out there? Forever?

    ReplyDelete